As part of the updated guidance, libraries are considered entities that need to be accessed by the public for daily living purposes, and as such are not included in the organizations/businesses that can implement the restrictions exemption program. Libraries are instead directed to take other steps to mitigate the spread of Covid-19.
Libraries must observe mandatory public health measures including:
- Mandatory masking indoors.
- Maintaining 2 metres distancing between members of different households; additionally, attendees (library patrons) must be with household members only or 2 close contacts if they live alone.
- Library capacity is limited to 1/3 fire code occupancy. Please see above link for more details.
Library programs for youth under 18 can continue if they follow the guidance for youth activities, which include:
- Screen youth for symptoms prior to participation.
- Maintain 2 metres physical distancing, except between youth who are engaged in a physical activity.
- Maintain masking indoors, except for youth who are engaged in a physical activity.
- Youth programming that requires adult to support the youth (ex: a parent & tot story time) may continue under the guidance for youth activities, with the addition that adults must be masked at all times and remain 2 metres distanced from those outside their household at all times.
- Programming which contains a mix of adult and youth, where the adults are not required to support the youth (ex: a book club), would follow the guidance for adult activities and would not be permitted to continue indoors.
- Adult indoor programing is not able to continue indoors.